St. Patrick's Day. I have no idea why we celebrate this holiday- please educate me if you know why.Besides getting green milk in elementary school and swearing that I lived by leprechauns in Arizona (they were short, super red hair....and they drove a tiny mint green car!), I've never really grew up celebrating it.
So this holiday always "sneaks up on me" and I have yet to start a fun/cute tradition. This year I was saved by our friends, Mary Jones and Monica Freese. They hosted a marvelous St. Patrick's day dinner and movie. They served up some corned beef, veggies and yummy mashed potatoes with cabbage (my fav. dish of the night). Another friend brought a common Irish bread, soda biscuits, which are basically a flat biscuit that we spread butter and jam on. I liked them a lot as well.
And I brought lemon squares which are neither green nor Irish, but nonetheless they were good.
Then we watched this Disney movie, "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". I had never seen that before, have you? It's super old, can you believe that guy is Sean Connery?? I now understand why he was James Bond. Very handsome. Oh, and the movie was fun too!
So thanks to Mary and Monica, this was probably the first St. Patrick's Day I've actually "celebrated."
Now on to a much more important holiday that I don't want to "sneak up on me"........
Easter!

I enjoyed reading the Ensign and getting some good Christ- centered traditions at Easter time. I'm still trying to establish some good traditions for this holy day. I really liked the idea of waking up at sunrise on Easter morning and sitting outside and reading the Easter story. I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. I feel like it would be a trade off. Great, spiritual morning, but by 11:00 church I would have some awefully cranky,tired children.
So far this week, we have been reading out of this months Ensign that is all about Christ. That has been nice, as it has given me the opportunity to keep reinforcing the reason we are celebrating Easter. This morning I showed a picture of Christ and asked the kids what Easter is about. Mariah answered "because Jesus died." (which is a huge improvement from yesterday: her answer then was "for eggs and candies".) And then I said, "and what did he do on the 3rd day after he died?" and her little friend I babysit said, "he had some ice cream!"
What are your Christ-centered Easter traditions?
8 comments:
I saw that movie when I was young. I've had a crush on Sean Connery ever since. And I still have nightmares about the banshee. I'm still too afraid to watch it again. :)
sounds like a super fun St. Patrick Day!
I love Darby O'Gill! You should try "The Gnomobile" next. I guess that one comes to memory because it's another classic old Disney and there are little people in it. For serious St. Patricks Day celebration, check out my sister's blog. Her husband goes all out!
http://isbeinghave.blogspot.com/2008/03/no-we-arent-irish.html
As for Easter, we don't have any traditions yet either. I keep thinking that I need to get some going so that we are prepared for the day. Here we are nearly at Wednesday . . . Thanks for getting me motivated to move on it. I wish I had suggestions. And way to go Mariah! Last week when I asked Myra why we celebrated Easter she just said, "I don't know." There goes all my motherly pride. I guess she's not that well taught after all . . . she's nearly six!!
I just read my sister's most recent post. It's amazing!!! You'd be interested for sure so after you read about her St. Patricks Day, read "Quite a Night."
Mariah's a girl after my own heart...but it would look awful for me at my age to say such things. Hence why I have such a love in my heart for Mariah..haha. Eggs & candies...yes please! =).
Glad you had fun Sat. Night. Talking to you made our car trip fly by. And then on the way home I realized just how long it really was.....
I have a really good St. Patricks Day tradition: dye all the food green and then your kids will all cry because they don't dare to eat any of their breakfast.
Real glad I did that this year.
(insert heavy sarcasm)
Love ya!
M
This year we are going to try to do all the "easter bunny" stuff on Saturday. Then Sunday morning I've prepared an easter egg hunt with plastic eggs that each have a picture and story about the Savior using these pictures from the March Friend. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=21bc9fbee98db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=40b6d9ab50758110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1 Also, there will be one empty egg representing the empty tomb on Easter. We'll see how it goes, but this is how we're trying to separate things this year...wish us luck :)
Hey Robyn!
Your blog is so cute and your giveaway spot is so fun! I hope you had a nice Easter.
Post a Comment