Monday, April 21, 2008

The Bright Side...



Our family had the opporunity to go to the temple on Saturday. Until we moved here, we always lived close to a temple. In Dallas, I swapped babysitting with my friend, Lori, and was able to go at least once or twice a month. The more I went, the more I loved and cherished it.

Our closest temple here in Iowa is Winter Quarters in Omaha, Nebraska. It's a two hour drive. I remember being so disappointed at how far away it was and wondered how often I'd get to go. Usually before a trip I would think about all the travel preparations needed, the entire day and activities I will be giving up to go, the long drive with little ones, babysitting arrangements, etc.

Recently I got to go with some of my friends to the temple. My friend Monica offered the prayer before we left and said something that changed my negative attitude. She simply thanked the Lord for having a temple so close. I remember opening my eyes and thinking, "so close? this is not close at all." I'm thankful for her prayer because it humbled me. I had been somewhat pessimistic about my circumstances, and to someone else this was a blessing. I decided I needed it to be a blessing to me as well. I decided to look on the bright side of things.

With this newfound persepctive, I wanted to share a few simple blessings I have found in having a temple 2 hours away:

1. It requires a lot of thought and preparation. Because my mind is on getting prepared for the trip all week, I find myself thinking about my spriritual preparation a lot more.

2. The day we go to the temple is truly a family day. I talk to the kids about it all week getting them excited and asking what special treats they would like to bring, etc. We don't bring movies for the drive (although there is nothing wrong with this). We talk, sometimes we bring journals that we have from our ancestors and read them outloud. The kids also bring books and coloring stuff. It's a great time for Tyler and I to catch up on a lot of things, especially family matters. After attending the temple, we take the kids to lunch and have another 2 hour drive together. The bright side of the long drive is that it feels less like we just get right home and jump right back to our busy lives. It makes for a nice transition to the "real world."

3. I like to think that my kids are learning something of sacrifice as well. They too are giving up their fun Saturday activities to support our temple worship. I hope they will have fond memories of these trips and remember the sacrifices they made to support their parents. I was thinking on our way home this last time that I want to make sure we get a family picture in front of the temple everytime we come so we can have those memories to share, and our kids can see that temples are important to our family.


Would I love to have a temple a lot closer? Absolutely, yes! But until then, I will just have keep looking on the bright side!

Since I didn't get any pics from this last trip, here are a few older pics of our family at different temples:


Salt Lake Temple, 2005








Bountiful Temple, 2005



My cousin Bre, Mariah and me at the Bountiful temple.



My oldest brother, John and Paula and my niece Toccoa.


10 comments:

Shelly Kenison said...

what a wonderful attitude. I think it is great to include your kids in the temple outing. i think it will start them early to have a love of the temple.

Ashley said...

I told Logan when I got home how I felt like I just spent a day on a Mons family vacation and LOVED it. Thanks again for letting me join in! And all I can say is Mariah is 120% edible in these pictures. Oh my goodness, I need to go pop a birth control pill. haha. =)

Ashley said...

No but really - the picture with you and Bre and her...Mariah's little wrists...I want to squeeze them! MMm! And her little outfit....Oh I want a little girl just like that one day!
(bytheway you look totally gorgeous in these pics as well!)

Melisa said...

What an awesome attitude! I wish I felt the same! I need to work on that. Between not knowing any sitters yet, Brad's insane work schedule, etc. we've only made it out once since moving here. I'm going to do better.

Laura Bernard said...

Thanks for sharing your insight. After coming from Indiana, where we had a very stressful hopefully two hour drive through Chicago traffic, we found the drive to Omaha so peaceful and beautiful. But it does seem like such a sacrifice. Great lessons for kids, though!

Jill said...

I loved this post Robyn and I miss having you close by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wonderful spirit and attitude.

kdance said...

Want to hear something sad? Dave and I haven't gone to the temple since Evan was born! We actually tried once, but it turned out being closed--it was a HUGE bummer, after driving 2 hours. Your post totally motivated me. I have TOTALLY noticed a difference, not going as much. I feel so much closer to the spirit after I go.

I used to live just blocks from the temple in Logan, so it's been a big change since we've been there. Atleast we'll have my mother-in-law to babysit after we move back to Idaho next month.

You are such a cool girl, Robyn! I wish I could see you more often. I'll miss you tons!

Shelly Kenison said...

I love your cute family picture you all look so great!

Megane said...

You are so right on your 3 points about the temple and not having it so close. I love the pics of the temple. Can I borrow the one of you guys at the temple for our temple activity in May? It is so cute!

Elle said...

Wow I love the blonde hair in one of the pics! So cute!!
Lv ya
M