Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break Hotel, Season 2

I'm a believer that whether you are in school or not, Spring Break has to be celebrated. I would love to go to Hawaii, Bahamas, or any warm beach for a week and relax. Maybe someday that will be a reality. Until then, I just have to make do.

This year we settled for :


A Five-Star Hotel.



In Outer Space.



Guests arrived with luggage in tow at approximately 1:00 pm Friday afternoon. They checked in at the front desk where they signed in and filled out a card for their food order. Each "family" was assigned a planet suite and a moon rock key.


The Mons bunch stayed in Mars. Chloe stayed in the Pluto Suite. And yes, I now know that Pluto is not actually a planet. Thank you Logan for the heads up.


Jone's rowdy bunch stayed in Saturn, and the Bernard-igans hung out in Jupiter.


Told ya they are a rowdy bunch!

After getting acquainted with their suites, the Space Rangers were back to the lobby to make their passports. It was imperative for their 2:00 launch to Space Camp.


Next, they came to the dining room for some "out of this world" snacks.


Jiggly Stars, Flying Saucers (tortilla chips), Moon Cream Cookies and Orbit Fruit Kabobs.


It was time to get down to business. In order to qualify for Space Camp there was a little training required.


First we stretched...
and then worked as a team to complete an obstacle course.


After completing the course under 4 minutes, they were so ready for Space Camp.

With passports in hand, the girls hopped aboard the Expi-Shuttle and the boys took off so fast in their Missle, I couldn't even get a pic.

Space Camp:







Believe me when I say that Space Camp was a blast. My cheeks are still sore from laughing so much. Got my butt kicked by that lady on the obstacle course.


Back at the hotel there was much more in store.

At approximately 5:00 pm, there was a meteor shower. It was like money falling from the sky. They scrambled to collect as many as they could to put in their space purse, or wallets they made. The meteors would sure come in handy later at the pajama party.

Soon our Rangers were raging with hunger. They went to their planet suites to change into their pajamas and kicked off the party with some pizza and great conversation.
Balloon rockets were launched and rangers combated all sorts of aliens.

The pajama party continued with a concession stand where they used the meteors they collected to pay for their goodies.


It was a simple selection of asteroids (Natalie's homemade marshmellows), cookies, twizzlers and juice.







Before our friends went home that night, the girls enjoyed some dancing and manicures while the boys went off to defeat something. I'm sure it was scary. Too bad I have no pics. I'll admit- I was busy busting a move.


Well done space rangers. Your mission is complete.
(click here for 2008's spring break hotel.)

14 comments:

sarita said...

A few points I'd like to mention:

1. Pluto's not a planet? Huh?

2. Never knew Myra was so flexible!

3. That is the coolest meteor shower I've ever not seen-----I keep picturing Tyler throwing balls of tinfoil off the deck and it makes me chuckle.

4. Can I bottle your creativity, please?

5. I'm coming to Spring Break Hotel next year. We will stay on the sun if we have to.

Liz said...

I would like to be reincarnated as your daughter, please.

I'm satisfied being your friend in this life, though.

Ashley said...

Robyn, I've come to a realization. Are you ready?

I was born in the wrong time zone/year whatever. I needed to have been born about 5-6 years ago so I could have been included in Spring Break hotel, because I KNOW had I gone to a party like that when I was 5 or 6 way back when, It would've changed my life. Either that, or I needed to be born a little earlier so Logan and I could already be done with med school, and living in a house next door to yours so we would never have had to been seperated. This long distance thing is the worst! ;).

Oh how I miss you. And oh how I love your ideas. And oh how I hope you'll let us visit Spring Break Hotel in July...when we want to come visit (for Logan's week back at DMU).I already talked to Sara about doing a girls weekend ;). Except she and Laura will be out of town..which means you+me glued at the hip. Got that?

Is this pump it up inflatable place new?
And hello flexible Myra...that girl can stretch ;)

P.S. Do I win the award for the world's longest blog comment? I know, I should've just emailed..haha, too late now!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

So much fun - you totally get an A+ for creativity and execution. I am archiving that idea for when the kiddos are a bit older.

Elle said...

oh man, I just passed out and came to and it was the next day. Luckily my kids can feed themselves...I was so overwelmed by your organization that I couldn't stay with it....
Are you SERIOUS?? Our idea of crazy fun is pushing each other in a wheelbarrow! DO NOT show this to my children!!!! You are amazing!!

joana said...

oh robyn, you're seriously the funnest mom ever! love it!

suely said...

Ah, Robyn what great memories you are making with your kids.
I am so glad you are blogging all this to keep it as family history.
I know that's why you are doing it and also to share with us that are far away.
Thanks so much, boneca.
Mom

Meg said...

Robyn I do love your ideas. I am going to make sure to take notes for when I have older kids. I seriously am so impressed. By the way you sounded so good last sunday.

Anonymous said...

I wish I just had half your patience and creativity to do things with kids. How fun and what great memories you are making with you kids.

Chrissy Jo said...

I'm pretty sure that you are officially the coolest mom ever. I really do hope to reuse your ideas someday in my future when my Irish twins are older. NO WONDER MY KIDS LOVE YOU SO MUCH! You're always so much fun!

Jmons said...

Man that looked like fun. I wish I lived next store so my kids could have come too, they would have loved it. Seriously you don't give yourself enough credit, something like this would have taken me months to plan, you really are creative and you have the super momness to pass something like this off so successfully.

Megan Andrea said...

could you be any more of a super mom? you are the ideal i am going to hold myself up to. where do you come up with this stuff???

Heather said...

This looks like so much fun. I cannot believe how big all of the kids are getting. I have only been away from Des Moines 2 years.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Robin.

You are a brilliant mother and I wish we lived closer so that I could bask in your lovely warmth. Congratulations on doing the most important job incredibly well. I admire you. :)