All. By. My. Self.
It was me and my mom and dad. I think the last time I had "alone" time with my parents was probaby when I was - I don't know- 5?
I was soooo excited to fly to California to celebrate my dad's big 60th birthday. I was especially thrilled to spend time with them. I was excited to be Robyn-the-daughter again. Here is my trip as documented with my cell phone:
First 2 things on my agenda: The beach......
....and Ruby's. We took a walk along the beach and talked and talked. I love talking about life with my parents. They have so much insight. I love that my dad loves to talk about deep things such as relationships and the purpose of life.

A great pic of my parents. And this was even before this was even before we got drunk on our shakes!
We went to the Newport Beach Temple. Probaby the most beautiful endowment room I have ever seen. Breathtaking murals of the refreshing California landscape. Never seen anything like that!

Shopping time with my cousin and aunts.
Love this girl. I only have 2 girl cousins on this side of the family. I love them both dearly and wish I could spend more time with them. We missed you Maren!

Another trip to Ruby's. We watched Salt and headed to our favorite joint. Pictured here are my parents, my grandma, my dad's brother, Todd - wife Kathleen (and cuz), my dad's sister, Lori -hubby John.
Hanging out at dad's birthday dinner.
Check out all those candles! Don't worry, Fire Extinguisher was ready to go if needed.
The birthday boy with his kind smile. I am so thankful I had to opportunity to this very special time with my parents. My dad is such a blessing in my life. I have learned so much from him and continue to be inspired by his strong faith and determination to grow closer to the Lord. I will always cherish this trip as one of the best memories of my life.
Here is a letter he wrote to us kids soon after his birthday. With his permission, I'd like to share it with you:
January 2, 2011
Tustin, CA
THOUGHTS AT AGE 60 AND A NEW YEAR
At my birthday, Fred asked me a question: “What are your thoughts at age 60?”
At the time, I did not give a very satisfactory answer. I would like to do so now.
These thoughts are about being happy in life. They come from a lifetime of learning. I hope they will benefit you now or sometime in the future:
--Faith in Jesus Christ brings us to the presence of God.
--Worry and fear are not faith. They are erased by the exercising of faith.
--Take faith and the Priesthood into everything you do.
--Humility is where God’s power is.
--Patience obtains all things. Let patience have her perfect work. You and all other humans can only progress a little bit at a time—this is a tender mercy of the Lord.
--Spiritual growth is impossible without adversity. Learning hurts. We only learn by taking the risk of immersing in experience with the best light available.
--Focus on right here and right now, with the matter immediately at hand. You cannot live faster than one day at a time.
This principle cannot be cheated by hurrying up.
--Once you’ve extracted the learning from it--if any--never dwell on a past experience that’s older than a day and a half.
--Rules for successful communication, especially with your spouse:
1. Don’t interrupt
2. Don’t argue
3. Don’t speak unless it edifies
4. Never criticize--especially in public.
5. Always provide a way for the other to save face.
--One of our purposes in life is to develop our emotional make-up, not just our spirits, minds and bodies.
Didn’t Jesus command: “Thou shalt love the Lord with all thy heart, might, mind and strength?”
--As we try to influence others, we must always remember that we are in the “heart-softening business”, just like God and His Son are. Kindness softens the heart. Argument only hardens it against us.
--We become stronger in our testimonies by firmly deciding to live the Gospel, not by overcoming the arguments or doubts that may arise against it. Doubt disappears as we more consistently live principles of truth.
--If we refuse to do evil, the vacuum within will be infused with light.
--The purpose of our move from Pocatello to Texas was to place you kids and your families on higher ground, both temporally and spiritually. That blessing has swallowed up all my heartache with employment during our time in Texas.
--I am convinced 2011 will be a great year for Mom and I. We will prepare for that end. The Lord will deliver us, as He always has. We shall not be denied.
Love, Dad
2 comments:
Yea for such fun Robyn trips - how FUN to see your parents, just you!!!!!!! Any rare time I take a trip by myself, I'm just excited for the plane ride without wrestling a toddler into a small, cramped, space of a seat. Anything besides the plane ride is an added bonus!!! ;)
Your parents are cute - and you look beautiful in that Ruby's pic!! I MISS YOU!
Hi Robyn
How thoughtful of you to post this... You are my wonderful girl.
Like everyone, I need to be appreciated. I am grateful to have been instructive to you in some way or another in life.
I know you will use all your learnings for good.
God bless, I pray.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment