![]() |
| Jake's First Visit Alone for Dinner |
Mar. 2
I sent the letter last night, and obsessively checked my
email all day today. By lunch time, I
still hadn’t received a response. Tyler
and I had a lot of housework and projects to keep us busy.
It was about 2:00 when we were cleaning our garage, I
glanced down the street and saw a grandmother pushing a baby in the
stroller. I knew right away that it was
him. I whisper yelled to Tyler in the
garage that “I see them, I see them!” and told him of my intentions to go talk
to her. He told me not to do anything of
the sort and that they needed to approach us if they got the letter. Soon, they were approaching the corner near
our house, and she began to cross the street towards us. I knew then that she had intentions of
meeting us.
I walked up to her and asked, “did you get my email?”, and
with a huge smile she said “yes, honey we did.
We can't believe this is happening!” She told
me that Tom was sending a reply at the very moment. She went on to explain basically the same
story that was told to Melissa and Robin.
She got choked up as she explained how hard this is for them, and I just
wanted to hug her tight. I can’t imagine
being in her shoes. She said if they
were any younger, they would raise him, but they just know it’s not right for
him. He deserves a family. Tyler and I bent down and took a look at
cute little Jacob (Jake) and said hello to him.
She didn’t stay long. As she
walked away I wondered 3 things:
1.
Did she notice the Guns N Roses music blaring
from the garage?2. What did she think of the 20 neighborhood kids literally running out of our house ever so loudly?
3. After seeing little Jake, I turned to Tyler and asked. Do you think you really could love this little guy as your very own. He immediately answered, "yes, absolutely I could!
Once she left, I ran back in the house to see if Tom had
sent his reply. My heart jumped to see
the email waiting there. Here is his
response:
Dear Robyn and Tyler,
Thank you for your wonderfully touching message about an opportunity for our grandson, Jake (Jacob Robert Carter); it drew tears from both Linda and me.
Jake was one year old last Wednesday, and we know we must make
difficult decisions sooner-or-later. We are much slower in coming to terms with
the emotional issues of such decisions than we are the intellectual
understanding of putting Jake’s long-term welfare first.
Within our family, the important parties other than Linda and me
are Jake’s mother, S, who has acknowledged she cannot successfully
or reliably raise him due to her medical issues, and S's brother, J , who has the primary financial responsibility for his sister and nephew.
J and S are Linda’s children and my stepchildren.Assuming there are no problems, we would like you to meet us and Jake to see whether we all should consider the opportunity for Jake that you have warm-heartedly offered. We hope to be in touch in a day or two.
Thank you, again, for reaching out to us.
------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
March 12
Tonight we had a meeting with J his wife, A and Linda
and Tom. We went to 5 J’s Steakhouse out
towards Spicewood. We had a nice dinner
and talked more about who we are. They
also explained a little bit about S's situation and the struggles she has
had with mental illness.
When Tyler
answered that he was born and raised in Utah, Tom immediately asked, “Are you
Mormon?” After replying that we indeed were, the table went silent. I knew at that moment that it was possible
that the conversation would be over.
After a moment J leaned forward and said, “I’ll just get straight to
the point. I used to work at Dell, and
I’ve known many Mormons who were nothing but kind, good, hard- working people. In fact, that gives me even more comfort,
because I know that Mormons are all about family.” As he said these things, I was filled with
the Spirit, once again confirming that this is right and will happen. I had a rapid slide show in my mind of many silhouettes
of LDS people who have crossed paths with this family who have, through their
good examples, opened the doors for us to adopt Jake. Another reminder of how important it is that
we live up to the standards and Christ-like qualities. You never know who you will touch- bad, or
good. Our meeting ended well, with J
saying that he would like to meet with Tyler alone on Friday.
| Brothers on a walk. Logan giving him extra protection from the sun. |

4 comments:
I am so excited to hear the rest of the story! I know there is more happiness coming, but I just love reading this & seeing how Heavenly Father brought Jake and your family together. XO
I agree with Amy! I'm so excited to hear the rest of this story. It is very touching and I get teary eyed every time I think about it. Thank you for sharing it.
Agreed with Amy and Kelly! This is truly amazing!!
Thank you for sharing this story! I can't wait to hear more. What a miracle. I am so happy for you!
Post a Comment