Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Break Preview

My latest craft. Peeps bouquet. Kinda funky, huh?



Well, I've been trying for a few days to get a post, but I have so many pictures and it takes so long to update them. Anyway, I have lots to catch up on, but I'll at least get started.

We had a fun, easy going spring break. It's so funny that even before I had a kid in school, everytime spring break comes around, I always feel like celebrating it and going somewhere, even when I haven't been in school myself or had any kids in school. I just love spring break.

Since we didn't get to go anywhere this year, we made the most of it at home. Logan has a pretty tight schedule between school, sports, piano, homework and chores. I wanted him to really feel like he got a break. I think we accomplished that. He went back to school happy and well rested.



This picture makes his dad so proud. Tyler's always secretly coveted this little boy down the street that we always see outside playing in some sort of sport equipment. (ie. baseball mitt, football helmet, basketball in hand, etc.). Ever since Logan finished his first season of basketball, he just has that constant desire to go out on his own and shoot some hoops.


Logan also loves to climb trees and pretty much tries to climb any tree he sees.






Oh, and our pet sagas continue. I mentioned before the great desire my children have to own a pet. Tyler and I will be hard to convince, and I think my kids know it. So, they make due with what they've got: each other. They spent an entire morning training each other. Logan (of course) was the master and had the kids doing all sorts of tricks for their treats. He even had Harrison barking and sitting on command.

Well, I guess we did give in a little. We actually did get our kids a pet. Well, pets that is. About 20 of them to be exact.

Logan's spring break ended with the exciting delivery of his larvae. That's right, we have pet larvae.
I got him a butterfly nursery for his birthday and we had to wait a little to get our stuff. The larvae finally arrived. We have 4 containers of caterpillars who are in the process of becoming butterflies. They are near and dear to the kids. They have named all of them and watch them crawl around with great excitement.

And how great for me: They stay in the same container, then we move them into a tent (it should be in the next week or so now) where they will become painted lady butterflies. Then they will die in 3 weeks. I know this sounds cruel, but it's not like I'm killing them, that really is their life span. Don't worry, we will catch and release them after a week so our kids don't experience the trauma of them all dying.

I think we finally found the perfect pet(s) for our family.

6 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

That really is a brilliant pet idea. Love the Peeps bouquets!

Shelly Kenison said...

what a great spring break. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

So that's what I can do with them. Usually we put them in the microwave and watch them go from normal to HUGE! I love the design. So creative.

Sorry you couldn't go anywhere this year. It's tough.

Melisa said...

You are very creative. I know a girl whose family makes Peep displays every year. I was impressed.

Great idea with your pets! That will be fun to watch them be freed!

Heitmann Family said...

sounds like your spring break was just perfect. Ours is coming up this next week. We are soo looking forward to a break.

Cara said...

What a fun idea with the butterflies - where did you order them from??