About the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees?Okay, first of all, get your minds out of the gutter. I'm really talking about the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees. I just realized where that phrase came from!
It all started on "plant a flower day."
Actually today is the official "plant a flower day", but we celebrated yesterday by disecting tulips. I printed off the flower anatomy worksheet and taught my kids all about the birds and the bees - as related to bees and flowers only. Whew- I am not ready to go any further than that yet!
Okay, I'm sure y'all already know this stuff, but humor me. Did you know that flowers have male and female parts? The female reproductive organs are the petals,sepals (the small leaves under the flower) and one or more carpels. The females actually have ovaries!
Do I have you on the edge of your seats now or what?
The pollen actually is what holds all the male reproductive cells that fertilize the ovules. So as a bee is visiting a flower to collect the nectar, they spread the pollen around which lands on the female parts! After it fertilizes, the ovule develops a seed in the ovary.
What's interesting too, is that not all flowers have both male and female reporductive organs. Some flowers have only one or the other (these are called imperfect flowers).
Please tell me I'm not the only one that had no clue about this!
As for planting any flowers, I will have to wait until all this snow melts. I'm thinking July sometime.
That a 3 year old could be your bestest friend in the world?
How long do you think she would wear one of those matching heart necklaces with me?
That this could give us hours of absolute glee and entertainment.
Well, that is until one of his siblings tries to play too.
please ignore the annoying mom voice. why do we do that??
7 comments:
You are so lucky to have such a beautiful family! I KNOW Mariah would wear a matching heart necklace - just try and get it off of her!
Okay, flowers have ovaries? I wonder if they ever cramp....if not I'd like to be a flower! =). haha, totally interesting though. I love how creative you get with your kiddos, and for the record I LOVED this video of Harrison. Oh that boy is too cute for words!!
I knew that flowers had boy and girl parts but never fully understood the whole birds and bees things.
Mariah and Harrison are so cute.
Who knew your best friend in the whole world could be a three year old? Well in my case a four year old
We miss you guys so much
Was that ball just attached to the ceiling? I love that idea!
Your kids are so cute. And...I don't know why we are always making mom noises on the video! That is so true!
yes it was. I tied some string through a wiffle ball and hung it from the ceiling fan.
Brad actually screwed one into the boys ceiling. Sheesh. Now I have a hole in my ceiling because we can't leave it up all the time. Boys.
I knew about the flower parts, but that being the reason it is called the birds and bees is new to me. Way to handle such a sensitive issue. hahaha
When I read the title of your blog, I was wondering what you were going to talk about and I am relieved that it really talks about the birds and the bees! :) Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing!!
Also, How cute is Harrison!?? and what a good idea, I'll have to mark that down in the memory...
Post a Comment