Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Going for the Gold

Oh my, are you guys watching the Olympics? We are LOVING it! Not only is it fun to watch (I love you Michael Phelps!), but they are inspiring. When I'm done watching them, I almost always dismount the couch with a headstand/somersault combo. I just about dove in the neighbor's kiddy pool because I'm almost certain I have the butterfly stroke down. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyler comes home with a volleyball for Mariah and our backyard becomes a beach pit. Not only is Logan out of his mind happy to stay up til midnight, but he wants to take 2 sessions of swimming lessons next year and goggles are worn at random times during the day. I personally like to wear the pink ones.

We decided since we're pretty much famous already (we do live close to Shawn Johnson, and have I mentioned that we're related to some pretty high profile pioneers?) we thought we'd go for the gold on our own. Dressed for team USA, we pretty much owned our Olympics this year. I'm still waiting for the paparrazi to show up.


No olympics can begin without passing the torch. It started clear up the street. I mean, it was far.



The torch made a smooth transition to our next runner, Mariah.




We were thankful there were no riots or strikes. We did have the cops on stand-by. (Our friend is a cop and we have his number, does that count?)


Our first event was the bike-kick-bike. A challenging bike course...



and an exhausting kick/run around a tree. A big tree.



Look at how focused she is! She didn't even think to look both ways.



Have you ever seen an olympian's hair flow like this?



Next up is dad. We are having his world record time reviewed, as some people complained he was fastest because he is the one who set up the course.



You don't even want to know the trash this woman was talking.



No one was prepared for the fury of this competitor. We all expected an easy win.



And then he took off.



Did I mention there was some fury? He didn't care for the "kick" part of the competition. He was born to bike.



Next up: Balance Beam. I would not recommend shoes that are wider than the beam.



Definately his best event. Flawless. He can even hold the perfect balance while swatting away anyone who dares come near him.



Check out that dismount. We are still talking about that one. I'm pretty sure our neighbors are too.


Up next: Disc Throw

Have you ever seen such grace while hucking a disc? Check out the ballerina arm! Nice.



Logan won the gold hands down on this event.



Good thing she is adorable. Her heart was totally set on the balance beam.



Harrison would chuck those so hard and so fast that #1: we were scared for our lives, and #2 we couldn't ever get a picture of him holding or throwing it.



Closing ceremonies:
We got straight to work and started watching footage of our competition while enjoying an all American dinner: Pizza, Popcorn, and Oreo Cookies.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fab! Just FAB!

Anonymous said...

Robyn you never stop amazing me at the ideas you come up with. Looks like you had a great Olympics

Melisa said...

That is hilarious! You are so creative!

Megane said...

Looks like a ton of fun!

Jill said...

So fun! I am sure your kids will always remember this! So fun. I wish I could have seen the beam routine!

suely said...

Boneca,
You made my day. I needed a good laugh and I got it. Thank you very much.
That was a great idea and I just wish I could've been there to win it all. Yes, Tyler, I ( Moi, Me , Myself) would win it all. Hands down. :)
The kids were fantastic and I am so proud of them. What a great group of olympians!!
I love you all.
Mom

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Fun! I want you to be my mom! You take the cake and we too have been loving the Olympics! Go Phelps!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Can I come next time! What a fun family you guys are:) Seriously so fun!!! Can I just come and sit at your house and watch all the fun things you do? I LOVE THE OLYPMICS I start jumping up and down during all the swimming races and act like a spaz! How close are you to Shawn Johnson? I fell a little staking coming on:)

Elle said...

I love this! I'll be honest, I'm glad I wasn't there because Ruby really would win me on everything. I've always avoided anything that involves coordination and competition with you Robyn.
This looks like so much fun!
~M

Cara said...

As always you have the best ideas! Just tell your kids how lucky they are for me would you??

Kelly said...

Seriously, do you guys ever stop having fun. I think I want to move next door to you just so we can invite ourselves over for all the fun and creative stuff you guys are up to.

musson said...

I am speechless...

Ashley said...

Oh my favorite mons family. You know that I print off your blogs and put them in my book called "Future activities to do with future family. inspired by mons'".

We're into volume 4 already - so just keep 'em coming. =).

Shelly Kenison said...

I think you might be the coolest mom ever. What a fun family event.