
I received a note home from Mariah's school announcing career day. They are looking for parents to volunteer to come in and talk about their professions. So far they have a police officer, computer tech and pretzel making parents coming in.
I spoke with the teacher and told her I'd like to participate in career day. I would be happy to come talk about my profession as a homemaker. I want to send the message to my girl that this job is just as respectable and honorable as any other.
So to all my fellow professional mama's, what would you share?
Of course I'll start with the obvious soap opera and bon bons (got a great recipe for those!). But what else?
8 comments:
Wife/ Mom = Director of Catering, Therapist, Educator, Activities Director, Financial Consultant, Domestic Engineer, Personal Assistant.... the list does not end. And you do it all so well, Robyn.
You could do something where you where all sorts of hats. The chef's hat, the taxi driver hat, the clown hat (I wear that one A LOT), etc, etc.
Moms do it all, and I agree with Amy, you do it so well.
Thanks for the chat and all the good advice this morning. Talking to you always makes my day just that much better.
I would emphasize that what it's really about is creating fantastic people. All the hats and descriptions we fit are true, but it all is just about making the best kids/adults possible. So maybe if you presented a "recipe" for making a good kid and then talked about the activities we do that help to create that.
Love the new family picture. Missed you yesterday, can't wait to hear about the baptism. Until then . . . naptime!
Those are some great ideas. I don't have any spectacular suggestions. I just wanted to tell you that I love your beautiful family picture on your page. You have such a cute little family. You must be great at your *job*!
I'm so glad you're doing that. You'll do awesome! (no pressure!)
that's awesome that you are participating! way to go! i'd talk about teaching kids how to read and making sure they are successful at school. that's a lot of what i do as a mom...
Your so awesome! Okay, some of my suggestions; talk about the importance of recipe planning and nutrition, house hold mgmt (doctor appts, bill paying, decorating, cleaning, maintenance,etc.). I'd also talk about the importance of education, educating yourself on history, world history and current events and all the practical math, reading writing stuff due to the fact that your the primary teacher of your children. It amazes me how much I still use math! Who knew?
I'd also talk about how important it is to be intuative to your childrens/husbands and neighbors needs. That it's important to take bread and cookies to nieghbors and friends to let them know you care. Also it's important to be a community advocate, helping to raise and impart good values to your childrens friends is invaluable. And the only way you can do these things is to BE THERE!
I feel SO strongly about this, I'm so proud of you for doing this. Show them what a woman you are!
This looks like it's a bit late, BUT! I want to tell you how awesome this is. SERIOUSLY. I remember in high school we did a career project, which consisted of doing research of college education, salary, benefits, etc. We had to get our "career" approved and when I was talking to my teacher and I said, Really, I just want to be a mom. Can I do something with that? The teacher looks at me and says "No, That's not a career".
Hello!! Dr. Phil says it's equivalent to two full time jobs. Eat that Mrs. Fiser!! Jk! Maybe someday her eyes will be open....
Post a Comment