Saturday, May 07, 2011

Not an Ordinary Saturday



Mariah began her first season of softball, and the season officially began with a parade and opening ceremonies.





Mariah's team was selected to parade in style atop engine 175...... how cool is that??




Here she is driving by and tossing candy. She later told me that she was pretty nervous to be up so high. A teammate even peed her pants!





Here's the parade rats collecting their loot. We chose a spot right at the beginning of the route and we couldn't keep up with all the candy. In the end we walked away with about 20 lbs of sugary treats -most of which has been donated to the bishop's candy jar.




The huddle before the first game of the year.




You see these big guys hanging with Logan? After the parade and a church clean up, we headed to our local grocery store for a bite to eat (if you haven't eaten breakfast at Hy-vee, you are missing out!). They happened to be celebrating their 5th anniversay and had all sorts of free food and activities going on. Logan spotted a basketball hoop set up in the parking lot amongst other carnival-type activities. To his excitement, the Barnstormers (an arena football team) were manning the stations. Since there were no other kids there yet, the football team were all shooting hoops and trash talking with each other. Observing that they were 3 times his height and with legs the size of his entire body, I figured Logan would be too intimidated to approach them. I began talking to myself- trying to get the courage to get somebody's attention so I could ask if my boy could have a turn.






Before I could pull myself together, I see Logan walk right in the middle of these massive guys, pick up a ball and say to one of them, "so, you wanna go, huh?". From there he started dribbling between his legs, and goes up for a fancy lay up (I actually caught him twisting in the air here!) and sunk it. The 300 lb. Barstorm players erupted with cheers and "oh YE-EAH's, and the game was on. Tyler and I stood there stunned. I couldn't believe he had the courage to do that! Tyler stood off to the side with the hugest smile on his face and watched his boy challenged the whole team to a game of knockout (a.k.a tornado or lighting). And wouldn't you know it, he won.




Logan walked away with an autographed tee-shirt and a smile that lasted the entire day.





Harrison opted to leave the gargantuan players alone and headed straight to the firetruck. Once again, there were no other kiddies there, so he had the fireman's full attention and made great use out of it. How great is that??


3 comments:

Jmons said...

That's a great post. Loved the parade rats comment. Logan you ROCK. I think that's awesome that you had the courage to take those guys on.
TM

suely said...

What a fun post! How fun for MAriah to be able to be part of the parade and ride on the truck. You can see Harrison's joy "driving" the firetruck. And Logan...how awesome is that that you challenged those huge guys and won besides! Way to go buddy!
Thanks for the post. Keep it up, boneca, I LIVE for reading them!

The Robinson Bunch said...

oh my heck, the picture of the scavengers (aka Tyler and Harrison) trying to get their candy loot is hilarious!...how fun!