Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting Involved

A question you are frequently asked when moving to a new place is, "how is everyone adjusting?" 

Moving is hard on everyone. There are so many changes: new schools, new places to figure out, new sports teams, new friends to make, a new ward to fit in to- pretty much new everything besides the basics- your little family.

Moving is truly one of the biggest, most stressful life events on a family.

I'm not going to try and make it sound like it has been easy for us- it hasn't.  But I must say how proud I am of my kids.  They have put themselves out there, had great attitudes, gotten involved and it's paying off.  They are not only adjusting well, they are thriving.

A few highlights of their little happenings in life these days:


Logan's school has a news broadcast room. He had a turn to do the morning broadcast.  He's been an anchor and the weather man.

Legit broadcasting room)



Every Friday they have a school assembly in the morning.  Logan's class did a skit and he wrote a "rap" to teach about one of the 5 pillars of good character. See- listening to hip hop does come in handy. He did amazing!


(Back off little girl. This boy is mine!)

A big blessing about our new neighborhood is that Logan has plenty of boys to run around with. They even love sports as much as he does!  He heard me mention to another mom that we should schedule a "playdate". He was mortified.  We now call people to come over and "hang out".  I think this last picture is a good visual for how he feels these days... content.

_________________________________________________________________________

Mariah has grown so much academically this year. She is truly blossoming before my eyes. I'm so proud/depressed about this.



Mariah loves to sing. All. the. time. A girl on the bus has even threatened to punch her in the face for her singing. A lot of tears were shed, and a lot of empathy given (to both sides). She has joined the ward choir with me. Mariah has not only grown academically this year, but in spiritual matters too.  She is diligent in her prayer and scriptures and wants to be so good. The pictures above are of her at her classe's "Cranberry Thanksgiving" play. She had a big part and memorized all of it. A special day for her indeed.

____________________________________________________________________________

Harrison continues to win the hearts of everyone- both old and young.  He has me completely wrapped. He is so pleasant to be with and brings me so much happiness.  He cares so much about people and expresses it so freely.   No wonder everyone is smitten by this guy.



Harrison is spending his last year before Kindergarten with me full time.  We are doing reading lessons (Teach Your Child to Read..100 lessons) which are going great and try to socialize as often as we can.  This is the third year that he has had me to himself all day while his siblings are at school.  How special is that?  I will never wonder if I ever gave him enough attention.  We truly enjoy being together. His kind heart melts mine and his personality cracks us all up.

I've often said that the kids have adjusted better than me. I'm thankful for their examples of jumping in with faith and getting involved. As I've followed their examples these past few weeks, I'm happy to report that I'm not just adjusting well....
I'm thriving too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that little girl looking at Logan, it is so funny!!! I sure love those kids

Megane said...

It is great to hear you are all thriving. I went past your old place last week and wondered how you were all doing. That is sooo great to hear you say Harrison is so great to be around and you enjoy being together, I remember when you first moved here and he was a baby and was just a tad bit difficult ;) we miss you guys but are glad you are doing great! love, the beans

Elle said...

PLEASE LET ME BE YOUR CHILD.

Elle said...

P.S. The picture of that little girl looking slyly at Logan had me laughing to myself last night as I crawled into bed. hehe.
And Mariah is a little lady! Beautiful!