Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mariah Soccer- Season II

One major bonus of our move to Austin, was that Mariah was able to get back into her favorite sport- soccer.  After her first season in DSM, we realized that games would be on Sundays, so we had to bow out and find another hobby.

Mariah has always longed to be back on the field, and was happy to be back.

Her season began in the dead of summer, making it a little challenging to watch comforably. 


I couldn't be more pleased with her team.  She had 2 high school soccer players for her coaches.  They did an outstanding job with the girls and taught them a lot of skills.  Mariah was pleased to have several school friends as well as a church friend on her team. What a blessing for the new girl in town!


Mariah began the season as the most in-experienced player.  All of her teammates had been playing for at least 2 years.  Mariah hadn't played since she was 5.  It took her no time to get a groove going, and she became one of the top scoring chicks on the team.  Her coaches couldn't believe her progress.


Highlights from this Season:

1. Watching Mariah score her first goal.  I still get a little flip in my stomach.
2. Smiling as I observed her interactions with teammates.
3. Feeling so happy that she gets to be back playing a sport she loves.
4.  The moment Tyler and I looked at each other and said, "we got to stick this girl in track!". Man, she is a super fast runner!
5.  Seeing more competative aggression on the field.  She wanted to win!
6.  Cheering on the sidelines with the other parents.  We were a loud and fun group.

1 comment:

The Robinson Bunch said...

awww I cant believe how big and grown up she is getting, that first pic of her kicking is awesome! she looks so happy and in her element