It was at my first Room Mom meeting that it became clear to me that I needed to Raise My Standards. I was out of my league. While in the thick of planning our Valentine's Day Extravaganza Party, I forgot where I was for a moment and threw out the suggestion that "we just keep it simple."
I might as well have dropped the f-bomb.
The music stopped, blonde heads turned to me and gave me "the look". Time stood still for a moment, and then they went right on planning.
The first month of school happened to be my teacher's birthday month. I was to cater a lunch for all of the 5th grade teachers, plus find an "original, classy gift." This would be one of 3 catering gigs of the year, along with several more parties, teacher gifts and graduation.
Graduation.
As proud as I was of Logan for making it through 5th grade, I figured a pat on the back would suffice. Until I saw another mom clickity clack into our graduation brunch followed by her personal chef heaving his latest ice sculptured masterpiece, a dolphin, onto the fruit table.
I think you get my point :)
Although these are all true stories, I've got to be fair and say that these people are really nice, down to earth friends. They love their families and want what's best for them. In the end, I did accomplish many things on my list. I made new friends, got acquainted with the school and most of all, I served my son.
And now back to sports. It is tradition that on an "away" game, teams will decorate their cars and roll into town with our car windows shouting hurrahs. When they announced this at my first team meeting, I must admit I came home complaining and ranting about These Crazy People.
I hate being negative. And so I've decided that there are times I will just have to join Them.
(Cousins help decorate cars for weekend games)
It's actually become a meaningful tradition for us. The kids feel pretty darn special cruising town announcing their awesomeness on the windows. It does make away games a fun thing to look forward to and gets us all pumped to play.
Now friends, if I blog about ice sculpture ideas for the Kindergarten Gala, you have my permission to come here and slap me silly.
Raise Your Glass!
7 comments:
I admit, I LOL'd at this post. Isn't there (shouldn't there be) a Real Housewives of Texas? I would TOTALLY watch that show! I guess it's true that everything is bigger in Texas - including ice sculptures for elementary school events. My glass is raised to you!
I love so many things about this post, including YOLO, imagining I was there when you suggested they "keep things simple,", and raising my glass to the Texas pride. Now I for SURE have to live in Texas. I've got to experience this for myself.
Way to have a good attitude, Robyn. I will finish picking my jaw up off the counter now. Ice sculptures? Catered lunches? Welcome to the south.
Holy Cow! You're so brave :)I laughed all the way through this and the sayings on the car are cracking me up. That's so cute!
HA! I love it!
Hilarious!!! Way to embrace the Texas culture! Hope we're there next year for a front row ticket to all the BIG Texas action!
Oh, my goodness! I could not take it! I'd resign as room mom right there in the meeting! I guess your experience will be a lesson to me that I can NEVER live in Texas! I was already blown away by the cheerleaders for Harrison's football games, let alone your extravaganza party planning for the entire school staff! Crazy people! Do they have nothing else to do? Kuddos to you for taking it in stride and not behaving like I would! :) Love you, girl. Miss you.
Post a Comment