Friday, September 07, 2007

A QT (quick trip)

We said good-bye to my parents and Mariah -who went home with them-, and the rest of us headed to Chicago for a very quick trip. Tyler had some business to take care of there, so the boys and I decided last minute to join him. We got there Wednesday evening and got home late Thursday night. It was about a 6 hour drive. I didn't realize how comfortable I've gotten with small town living. I have always been one who loves crowds, commotion, fairs - I love to be where all the action is. But that traffic about did me in. It took us an hour and a half to go 7 miles. I totally sympathize with road ragers. I just kept looking at all the people next to me wondering, "how do you do this everyday?". Otherwise it was really a great trip, I would like to go back again when we have more time to discover Chicago, as we spent most of our time in a city called Evanston, which is a large suburb north of Chicago.






First thing we did after checking in at the hotel was to ask where all the locals go for true chicago style pizza. The man didn't hesitate to recommend this restaraunt (forgot the name of it). We were impressed, and that's good because we are very loyal to our Pizza Hut pan pizza - but I must say the Hut was not on my mind that night!


Here is Logan at Lake Michigan.



While Tyler was at a meeting, I had about 2 hours to kill. I walked downtown and window shopped until the kids got impatient. Then I spotted the city library. I have found most libraries have a great children's section. This one was no exception. Logan and Harrison loved it. Some kids go to Disneyland, ours get to tour the local library. Don't worry, I've already started saving for a good therapist for when they grow up.


Logan wrote, produced, starred, and definately directed a very entertaining puppet show. It was something about little red riding hood, the big bad wolf getting attacked by a giant dog and a butterfly who comes to rescue her.


This was the moment Tyler has been waiting for since fatherhood. - To take his boys to a MLB game. He was sooo excited. I have fond memories of going to games with my dad and brothers- it is a must do for every American boy and girl. Well, at least I think so.






What do Alfonso Soriano from the Chicago cubs and Logan have in common?



This baseball. Yep! We got his foul ball that was speedily heading for my face. I was holding Harrison, so I had one arm extended to save us and screamed like I do in most critical situations. Logan was sitting on his glove so he could sit higher, so he was curled in the fetal position and covering his head. Tyler made his glove useful as well by using it to hold the bag of peanuts. So he was not prepared, and now I think of it, I'm not sure what he was doing when that ball came flying. So you can see we weren't quiet ready for this fire ball headed our way. Luckily a kind man leaned in front us and snatched it, and was very, very kind to give it to Logan. What a great first experience at the ball game!

2 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

Ayden would be jealous. We have been trying to find a weekend when we could go to a Mariner's game. I don't think we will get to one this year but definately next year. Looks like you had a great time. Fun, Fun!!

Ashley said...

Y'all look like you had a blast! I'm so jealous!! Logan's been dying to try some Chicago style pizza too!! I LOVE the pics and stories!! So fun about catching the ball too!! I hope y'all were on the big screen for everyone to see!