Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I May be a Dork, but I am the Alpha


Oh, by the way, this is our cat. Ya, we got a kitty a while ago. Her name is Lizzy. Remember once when I declared that butterflies make the perfect pet? I still stand by that statement.

Now that I've caught you up on that important news, you will now better understand this story. I remember a friend who has a cat telling me that she (my friend) established herself the Alpha female of the home, so the cat was very submissive to her. I never asked her how she went about establishing herself as the Alpha because I never thought I'd have a pet myself.

Well, obviously now we do. And today as I was reading this little book about vampires and werewolves, I was once again reminded of this Alpha word. And then I thought about my friend being the Alpha in her house, and suddenly this became a deep desire within me.

In the past when my cat was caught on the countertop, I'd "gently explain that this was not okay and rubbed her back so she wouldn't get upset (according to those psycho how to care for kitty books).
But not today.
I was ready to claim my Alpha title. I'm telling you what. I didn't even think before hand how I was going to do this. I just let instinct take care of itself.

So. What did I do? I walked in tonight to find Lizzy on my countertop. I stomped towards her and hissed. Not the "sssss" type of hiss between your teeth. No. It came from my throat. Deep from within. My upper lip even curled under. I'm afraid I might not have a voice tomorrow. I seriously have a sore throat already.
It startled me that I did this. I serioulsy didn't plan that this is how I would claim Alpha-hood. It was pure instinct. I'm so ridiculous. I couldn't stop laughing at myself.
Neither could Lizzy.
... I think tomorrow on my way to buy some throat losanges, I'll pick up a spray bottle. I heard that works too.

19 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

So Alpha...can you hear Lizzy's thoughts, or anyone else's for that matter??? :)

Robyn said...

Becca,
Yes, actually. I can hear yours, and I'm sorry you're so jealous of me.
We'll work through this. Hey, uh, do you want to join my pack?
Love,
Robyn

Megane said...

LOL Hilarious! Oh, that is sooooooo good! Did you scare the cat or just yourself?

Try the spray bottle, that does work, or balloons our cats are TERRIFIED of balloons, if there is one nearby they won't come close! Good luck!!!

Kelly said...

Robyn you seriously crack me up.

Elle said...

Okay, okay wait. When did you get a cat?? What happened to Pinky the Crazy Cat video that made you vow you would never have a cat?
But I do remember that your children wanted a pet so bad that they'd each take turns pretending to be a pet.
I am so proud you're becoming alpha! I knew you'd go far in life!
~M

Ashley said...

Get a dog instead and solve all of your problems! haha. j/k. Good ol' cats. =). I miss you!

Now how's this for an amazing comment? =)

Anonymous said...

Robyn you are so funny. I totally pictured the whole event. GO ALPHA GO ALPHA!!!

Shelly Kenison said...

So just curious, did the cat obey?

Anonymous said...

Now that you are the Alpha, does Tyler walk around the house with his tail between his legs!

Elle said...

Ruby, what is your take on Breaking Dawn? What did you think??
~M

Chrissy Jo said...

Thanks for making my day, Robyn!

Holly said...

I can't stop laughing! We used to have cats and I can totally relate! The best part is when you've done it more than once and after a while they don't move; they just look at you like "whatever!"

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

I can TOTALLY picture you doing this, and then laughing at yourself later. I'm still laughing.

Johnny and Paula's World said...

Robyn, you crack me up. I could totally picture you doing that! Your stories are funny even on the computer screen. And how great that you got a cat without Tyler even having to die! LOL!

Jmons said...

Todd says "I thought Roybn was already the ruler of the roost."

That was funny, he says he would also try the spray bottle, you may get more of a reaction.

Anonymous said...

The best thing is a can of pennies and shake it if she is doing something bad. That will freak her out and it will get to the point even maybe the second time that if you even touch the can she will react. This prevent you from getting unwanted things wet.

My sister is a cat freak and that is what she does with her cats. This is someone who can train a cat to go on walks with you next to the stroller.

Angela said...

Ya know, this is why cats make great pets. There are so many ways to punish them and it can really help with destressing if you do it well. :) Too bad we're all allergic. Darn darn darn

The Jones Fam said...

I'm sorry you have a cat. But that was a great story. Ask Natalie what I do when I see a cat in our yard. I go ape. Does that make me the alpha female of our house?

Jake