Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Little Bubbly and Lots of Giggly

Tyler and I were invited to a white elephant party last week. I grabbed an ornament and a Dr. Phil book off our shelf and off we went.

The house was huge, a mansion compared to our home. It was so lovely. Tyler and I were first to arrive and the hosts joked that we had the bar all to ourselves. What could they mix up for us? We turned the corner to see the selection of drinks. Fancy bottles and even fancier bottles. And some snobby sparkling water for mixing. With a wine glass in hand our gracious host anxiously awaited our request.

Tyler: "Uh, I'll just have some of the sparkling water, that looks great."

Host: "And you?"

Me: (It only took me a second to notice that soda wasn't even an option, and I hate sparkling water) "You know what, I'll just have some plain water." On the rocks, of course.

After being a bit taken back by our pathetic request (I'm sure hundreds were spend just on alchohol for the evening) I'm sure our hosts were praying that some funner guests would soon arrive.

And arrive they did.

Soon the rooms filled with all sorts of sophisticated, (did I mention I was totally underdressed) refined, alcohol- savvy people. I realized as goblet after goblet was poured that this was my first party with alcohol. I've been to hotels and resturaunts where it is being served, but never to an actual party with drinks. I started to watch for what changes came over people as they sipped away.

It didn't take long to notice that soon people got pretty relaxed. The awkward, "hi we just got here and don't know anyone" looks on faces soon faded and people started mingling. All sorts of people came to talk to us as we sipped away our chilled waters. I heard lots of "I have my own business..." , and "I'm an executive at...", or "We leave for Hawaii tomorrow. We spend Christmas there every other year."

Soon conversations got louder and louder. And suddenly, I realized I could totally get away with my courtesy laugh (mostly my family are the only ones who have heard it). It was awesome. Someone would say something, and I could totally courtesy laugh and noone cared. Actually, most of them courtesied right along with me. They're my new bffs.

The giggles came out later in the evening when it was time to open white elephant gifts. Who knew a reindeer hat could bring such joy and laughter to a party? Oh, and an angel candlestick. Oh, we giggled (I courtesy laughed) for a good 5 minutes over that one.

Then someone opened a gift (from the hostess) that just sent all my giggly friends into full on giggle fits. Tyler and I even had a fit or two over this one.

A painting of a naked man (that hostess painted) sans privates. And the man who posed for it was at the party.

And that is the story of the night Tyler and Robyn were too early and underdressed for a White Elephant party where there was lots of fancy drinks and very sophisticated giggling (and courtesy laughs).

The End.

6 comments:

Melisa said...

You make that actually sound fun! That is hilarious about the painting though! And the guy was there?! WOW!

Haylee Mollerup said...

That's a hilarious story!!! You are a great storyteller!! I love your "plain water ... on the rocks!!" That's great!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great night of drunks and laughing. Outside the mormon parties they get pretty crazy, especialy if your the one not drinking. You can sit back and watch people make a fool of themslves.

Chrissy Jo said...

Wow, what a night! I hope you had a Fabulous Christmas! Maybe we'll see you next week when we get back and you can tell me all about it! Merry Christmas!

Elle said...

Okay there HAS be a way to rewind time and allow me to be a fly on the wall!!
Did the guy just laugh at his naked picture??
Hilarious!!
~M

Anonymous said...

You guys need to get out more or stop hanging around boring people who just sit around and make crafts all day and talk about poopy diapers. I have six cases of snobby sparkling berry flavor I might add waters downstairs in our food storage. You never know who might show up at our door;) I love you guys you know that. I wish I was there at the party because free anything is great!