
A few weeks ago some friends and I headed to Pella, Iowa. It's a little Mayberry-ish town gone Dutch. These roots still run deep in this town and every year they host thousands of people to celebrate Tulip Time.
After an adventurous drive - by yours truly- we were welcomed with tons of beautiful tulips. My favorites were the dark, dark purple and the orange.


We parked right by a tractor show and even though my heart and stomach were screaming for fair food, I patiently waited while the boys walked the lot in wonder.

These cute girls serenated us as we met up with other friends and talked about what we were going to eat.

I brought the perfect company with me- ladies that love to eat. We all came with the same idea. #1-We would try some authentic dutch food (bologna taco salad for me - not too impressed), and #2- We would eat all throughout the day. I love that we didn't have to even discuss this. It was just this understanding we had.
We knew that if we got seperated in the huge crowds that there was no need to worry. Just poke your head into the local bakery, or check the line that sells pofferjies and we would surely be reunited once again.
Don't worry- the kiddos had their share of fun too..


I just love this next picture. Before the parade starts, tons and tons of dutch folk clean the streets. The men carry yokes and buckets on their necks, dumping water on the streets for the women and children to sweep as they go. I actually loved the sound of all the sweeping. Check out the old lady camping out in front of the huge tractor wheel.



8 comments:
Robyn, you are gorgeous! I'll eat my way through any town, any time.
I second what Liz said (about being gorgeous and eating your way through any town).
I think we should make this town a tradition---even the getting lost part.
Thanks for a great time! Can't wait to see you on Wednesday!
How far is that place? It looks so fun and authentic. Love the pic of Harrison and those enormous shoes. Beautiful pic of you also with Ms Mariah and Harrison.
I'm loving the all you can eat pastry idea. Yes, if that place is close we go, got it. Or just a good pastry shop. Who am I kidding I'm coming to see you to get these last pounds off! Ok just one....
That pic of you, Mariah, and Harrison... too cute! I love keeping up with you via Facebook and your blog. Miss you guys...
that's so awesome! they need something like that down here! you always have the best pictures =]
What a fun fun place...I'd never even heard of it. So cute and so fun!
So I just got on here to say "Robyn, you are looking gorgeous my friend", only to find everyone else in agreement - which is what I'm talking about!!!
I miss you, miss you, miss you. Really - looks like you have been partying it up, which is what I love about you. I wish I could run up and give you a big huge hug, and play piano, and eat some of Tyler's famous cookies, and play games of course. Here's hoping for July!!!! ;)
that place has "robyn" written all over it! how fun! it reminds me of that farmer's market we went to when we came to iowa. lovin' the kick back grandma with her blanket by the tire! ha!
Post a Comment