Thursday, May 01, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!



I have the hardest time writing about my mom because I get so emotional when I even think about this woman! I'm sure whatever I have to say seems so shallow because I just can't express in words the love, admiration and appreciation I feel for her.

What I love:

When I called her to wish her a happy birthday we were talking about the age she turned and she said, "Wow! I can't believe it! Time flies when you are having fun." I said, "Well, are you having fun?" and she said, "Oh, I'm having a blast, my life has been a complete joy."

That really epitimizes her personality and attitude. You can tell she just loves life and it emulates from her. Every memory I have of her, is of her being cheerful.

I love the Brazilian blood and traditions that she has passed on to me. She is so passionate about life, so fun loving, so warm and humble. I'm so thankful and proud of my Brazilian heritage.


What I admire:

Her faith. Amazing, strong, childlike faith. She knows "Father" ,as she calls Him, will take care of her. Ever since she was baptized at 14, she has been a strong, faithful member of the church. She is the one who taught me how to be a friend, a visiting teacher, a primary teacher. She taught me to pray and turn to the scriptures because I often saw her in action, and I learned that this was the way I too could find strength and resolve my problems.

I admire the way she freely loves everyone. She is the type of person you meet once and think, "I really think she likes me." She looks in your eyes and you can't help but feel like you are something special. Everyone I know who has met her loves her. There was a time in my highschool days when she was more popular than me. I remember someone coming up to me in the hall and saying, "I heard you have the coolest mom." Of course she was right, but at the time I was thinking, "well, yeah, but I'm pretty cool too, what's your name?"


What I appreciate:

My brothers and I have been spoiled by her tender nurturing. She is the most nurturing person I know. I appreciate that all of her grandchildren are also recipients of her love and nurturing. Just the other day I was being playful with Logan and asked, "Am I your favoritest mama in the whole wide world?" Thinking I had this in the bag since I'm his only mom, he replied, "W-ell, no you're 2nd. Vovo' (grandma) is the best." I couldn't argue with that!

I appreciate her sacrifice to put off her own pursuits to be home with us. I remember even when I was in middle and high school how I just needed my mom. And everyday when I'd come home from school she would be there waiting and so happy to see me.

A quick story: In middle school I went to a haunted house with a huge group of friends on a school night. There was a miscommunication about our ride home, so we had to wait a long time for our ride and we got home really late. The next day I found out that many of my friends had gotten in trouble. I, on the other hand came home and my mom was at the table waiting for me with hot chocolate and toasted french bread eager to hear about my night out.

Although I feel I have so much more to learn and live up to, I am thankful that she has taught me to be a devoted wife and a loving mother.

Truly, all that I know and all that I am, I owe to my mom. Happy Birthday mom, I love ya!!

11 comments:

Shelly Kenison said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. It sounds like you are a pretty lucky daughter to have a Mom like her. I think you are on track to have your kids say similarly amazing things about you.

sarita said...

What a great tribute to your mom--I'll have to meet this woman!

Melisa said...

No wonder you are so awesome, Robyn!

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I have only met your mom a few times and I know that she likes me because everytime I see her she makes me feel like she has missed talking with me. You do have an amazing mom. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Elle said...

Robyn,
Your mom really is that amazing and more. She always made me feel like she loved me even with my huge braces and the fact that I went weeks without brushing my hair. Really.
She is the best example of loving life. And telling the Bishop that people's Dad's are dead (when they aren't). But it makes for good stories.
I love her!
Lv
M

Ashley said...

Oh mom's are the best, yours especially!! Happy Birthday to Sueely (sp?)!!
And cute pic of you two!!

suely said...

My boneca,
Thank you so much for the kind words. I don't deserve that much.
But I am thankful that you love me and that you have good memories of me growing up. I have loved you from the moment you were born, literally!! When you were born, I felt a warmth in my soul and felt that my best friend and beloved sister had finally arrived here on earth.
And that's what you have been to me. A wonderful daughter, friend and sister.
Your friends were so sweet to say such nice things about me also.
For those of you who don't know me,
Robyn is a much, much , much, much, much improved version of me. In every way.
Thank you again, boneca.
I love you.
Mom

Laura Bernard said...

This explains a lot about you. Knowing about some of your dad's troubles and coupling that with what you shared of your mom, AMAZING! It really is amazing that she can have such a positive outlook even with such difficulty. This has inspired me to be a happier, better mom! Thanks!

Hmachine said...

I met your mom at an enrichment activity and she made such a huge impression on me. She was talking about cleaning, etc, but I remember more of her personality and the way I felt around her. She really is a great lady that we should all try to be like! :):)

Hmachine said...

p.s. we are living in Kentucky! :) Very green and lots of family around!!! :)

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

I love good mamas, I also love your hair, cute.