Thursday, May 15, 2008

"The Only Thing Necessary For the Triumph of Evils is For Good Men to do Nothing"


I've been feeling inspired lately to share something I'm involved in. Well, I say involved, but it seems I hardly do anything.

I found the AFA (American Family Association) after hearing a talk from Elder Ballard in conference a few years ago. He talked about the need for us to raise our voices against bad media and negative influences that target our families. For some reason this talk touched me deeply and I felt a great desire to be more involved and find ways I can speak up and make a difference in my community. I started to look into different organizations I could get involved in, etc. As gung-ho as I was, it didn't take long for me to remember that my most important work was to take care of my little ones who were (and still are) at a demanding age. I know there will be a day when I will put a lot more of my time and effort into my community and organizations, but for now I need to be very careful and choose the "best" of the good things.


That is why I was so excited to find the AFA network. I've been involved for a couple of years now, and feel like in a small way I am still speaking out and making a difference, and more importantly, I feel in a small way that I am following the counsel that touched me so profoundly.


Here is a quick description of the AFA:

" The American Family Association represents and stands for traditional family values, focusing primarily on the influence of television and other media – including pornography – on our society.
AFA believes that the entertainment industry, through its various products, has played a major role in the decline of those values on which our country was founded and which keep a society and its families strong and healthy. For example, over the last 25 years we have seen the entertainment industry "normalize" and glorify premarital sex. During that time we have suffered a dramatic increase in teen pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS and abortion as a means of birth control.
We believe in holding accountable the companies which sponsor programs attacking traditional family values. We also believe in commending those companies which act responsibly regarding programs they support. "

If you are interested in being a part of this work, just email me and I'll add you to the newsletter list. There is no cost at all, just a tiny bit of time. Basically you get an email newsletter once a month about a specific issue with a recommended action. 99% of the time they have already written up a standard letter for you, then you just put a subject line and sign the letter for them to send to the right contact. Sometimes they will also suggest when to contact a government representative if it is necessary and can help you find who you should contact and their info. It's always quick. I also like how they report on different issues we have been fighting. We have really made a difference. So join us, spread the word and feel good about protecting our families!

If you have another quick second, here is a small portion of his talk. This is the part that touched me so profoundly:

"We need to remember Edmund Burke’s statement: 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.' We need to raise our voices with other concerned citizens throughout the world in opposition to current trends. We need to tell the sponsors of offensive media that we have had enough. We need to support programs and products that are positive and uplifting. Joining together with neighbors and friends who share our concerns, we can send a clear message to those responsible. The Internet Web sites and their local affiliates will have their addresses. Letters and e-mails have more effect than most people realize, especially those like one sent by a Relief Society sister that stated, 'I represent a group of over a hundred women that meets every week and often talks about the harm your program is doing to our children.' "

5 comments:

Elle said...

I'm in. Add me to your list!!
~M

Johnny and Paula's World said...

That's awesome, Robyn! I'd love to be involved. Thanks so much for the info.
We're SO excited to see y'all!! Love you, Paula

Hmachine said...

I too would love to be involved. I've thought a lot about this and wondered how to get involved without neglecting my main stewardship--my kids. :) Add me as well. :)

Elle said...

Ruby,
Wasn't it fun to see Megan on her blog? I felt the same way as your comment, I just felt like I was going to burst into slobbery tears!
~M

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Thanks for the uplift, count me in too. :)