Monday, May 18, 2009

Mothers Day Weekend

It all started on Friday when 3 ladies jumped in a minivan and headed North to Minneapolis.

We were on a mission. It was simple, really.

We were going to talk (uninterrupted and about anything we wanted to) and shop (without strollers or playplaces).



We checked into our hotel fit for queens and after 2 minutes of relaxation we headed to our first destination.



This was my first true Ikea experience. To be honest, I had always wondered what was so great about it. Was it really the greatest store on earth, or just another Mormon girl trend? I walked in waiting to be impressed. And I was.....eventually.

I'm the type of person that gets overwhelmed at buffets. In fact when I was little, there was rarely a time we'd leave a Ponderosa without me losing it before we left. This place was huge- like 5 Ponderosas in 1. Luckily most things they sell are not edible (except for the Swedish Meatballs which I devoured.)

My peeps came with agendas. They browsed online and budgeted for months before coming. I just showed up equipped with chocolate for the drive. 3 hours later, we crammed the van with our purchases.




My contribution to this pile was a plastic step-stool and a rubber whisk.

I called Tyler that night and proudly reported my purchases. "You drove 3 hours to shop and you're going to come home with a rubber whisk?" was his reply.

I hung up the phone and after sharing this conversation with my confidants we quickly concluded that I was just given permission to go spend more money. And I did, thank you very much.




After a lot of great girl talk and staying up WAY past my bedtime, we enjoyed a very comfy sleep and woke up at the crack of dawn for a much needed visit to the temple.




Day 2- Shop until your body begs for mercy. Now I must admit I was a little nervous about this trip. I was well aware that it entailed a lot of shopping. I tire easily. That is my back and legs do. I was nervous that I would hold them back and have to take lots of time to sit. But I held up just fine- physically that is. Not sure mentally. I purchased a pair of skinny jeans. I never would have done that in my right mind...





Thanks Girls, I had a blast!

(Mother's Day 2009)

We got home late Saturday night and I was so happy to find my favorite people safe and sound. Mother's Day was sweet, special and relaxing. Oh, how I adore these people!

13 comments:

Cara said...

How fun is that?! I want a girls weekend!

Anonymous said...

I want a girls weekend. Maybe when you come in July we can have a girls day w/ all the Sister in laws. And my baby.

joana said...

yay! a trip with the girls, how fun! we need to come visit you we miss you!

Jmons said...

Yes that is a must do when we all get together in Utah. Hmmm, where could we go, that is a good question lets put on our thinking caps and come up with somewhere fun. I'm always game for Gardner Village.

Sure looks like fun Ruby. It makes me want to go to Ikea!

Laura Bernard said...

Where have I seen these pictures? Did you forget your camera?

Again, very jealous of the whole affair. . . . Someday. Glad you came home with more than a whisk. :)

Angela said...

I've never been to Ikea. I've heard about their rubber whisks. I guess I'll have to look into it. Someday. I heard they have child sitters. Is that true or just craziness?

Elle said...

oh man!! so fun!!!

Chrissy Jo said...

Thanks for letting me use all your photos and being the designated camera carrier. :-) Oh, and thanks for a FABULOUS weekend! I'm sorry every time we hang out I keep you out way past your bedtime and you end up laid out on the couch the next day.... What can I say? You're just so much fun to hang out with I never let you leave! :-)

EriKaren said...

aww yay! i'm jealous for sure =] i love ikea! i'm glad you had a great mothers day!

Liz said...

Okay, little miss Long Legs, I've seen you in your skinny jeans and you Totally Rock that trend.

DH said...

What a fun girls weekend! Glad to see you had a great Mother's Day :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! We can't wait to see you in July.

Sylwia said...

that sounds like my kind of weekend away. i've done that with my friends several times! awesome!