Wednesday, September 07, 2011

How to Cope when Your Open House is a Flop

After hours of cleaning, scrubbing and being psycho strict about touching anything in the house, our home on Scenic Vista was all nice and pur-dy for the open house. It was advertised all over the world wide web, in the papers, on the MLS, even on that list of Craig's.  We were expecting folks to come by the 5's, maybe even the 10's if we were lucky.

Heck, this was so special, we even went out and bought some balloons to tie out front.  Look how thrilled these kids looked.



I hate to break it to you, but not a single soul came.  No one was even tempted to come see what all the balloon action was all about.  Not even a nosy neighbor came to inspect.

After all the bloody whines, sweat and tears of cleaning, how do you cope with such a disappointment? 


I knew that if it were up to me, we would all have inhaled a few chocolate bars and taken a nap.  Good thing this man took charge. 

His first coping strategy was to suck the helium out of all the balloons and sing top hits such as, "Apple Bottom Jeans" and "Ding! Fries are Done"


Ya, we thought.  This is starting to feel a lot better.  (Although Mariah thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone perform, she opted to keep all of her brain cells in tact.  In her own words, "I need all the brains I have." ) So proud of her! (notice her apprehensive smile as she waits to see if Logan's head is going to explode)

Although the helium was uplifting, we were still feeling the sting of rejection.  That's when our cheerful chauffer pulled up to the movie theaters to watch Cars 2.  Wait, there's more: the Mons family ordered popcorn and soda? Truly a sign of desperation.



The popcorn and soda was a decent distraction of our failures of the day, until I saw the movie and was reminded of what a flop our open house was (did not heart that show).

By this time, my man knew that the only way to fill the empty spaces in my heart was to hook me up to chocolate... and fast!  We zipped on over to Culvers where we self medicated our dejected selves with creamy custards. 

.... And if I could say one thing to myself that day it would be, "wow, today sucked.  But don't sweat it girl,  you will sell this house really soon and everything will be okay."

Because we did, and we are okay.  Isn't that usually how it goes?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I can completely relate! We had a couple of open house flops ourselves! We even had a showing on graduation day. I had a house full of guests it was raining like crazy and I'm pretty sure my house guests were more concerened about their hair than picking up there garabage from the night before. But, with the help of my mother, I managed to have it clean and still make it to graduation in time. After all that stress we ended up accepting an offer the night before we packed up and left. Patience was never one of my qualities.

Anonymous said...

I remember Tyler sucking in helium as a little kid and singing the oompa loompa song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Good times.

Glad your house sold!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

What a huge bummer! Selling a house is stressful enough, but add the open houses in, and it's enough to drive you to the edge. So glad everything turned out, and you were able to make the move this summer. Hope Texas is showing you some Southern Hospitality!