October 3, my father would have been 57 years old. We lost him to cancer 2 ½ years ago. Birthday traditions in our family are celebrated by making the entire day a special day, and telling stories about that person. Soo… on his birthday we baked a cake for Dad/Grandpa, and shared memories and stories about him. Logan said that he loved playing with Grandpa. Grandpa would wrestle with me, play baseball, basketball, and football. He was always playing with me (I have to agree Grandpa had a lot of energy). I believe others would agree that I’m a ball of energy always on the go. I often times comment to Robyn that I don’t know how my Dad did it. He was such a hard worker. He would work, come home play with us kids, work in the yard, the house, or fixing cars, and always had time for his family.
My father was a spiritual man. Here are a few life lessons I learned from my Father, the spiritual leader in our home.
1. My Dad was the most charitable person I knew. He had mastered this characteristic during his adult life. His love knew no boundries, race, color, religious denomination, or lifestyle. He treated others the way he wanted to be treated and when this wasn’t recipricated he loved them uncoditionally. He truly saw his fellow men as children of God. I strive to love others as he did.
2. I am the man I’m today because of my Father. My Father taught me what it is to be a Husband, and Father and raise children. He taught me how to sacrifice, and be dedicated to my family. Throughout life my Mom and Dad showed us that we can have different opinions, and work through our differences and still have a loving relationship. My Dad, even though busy always made time for us kids. He adjusted schedules, stoped what he was doing to be with his kids.
3. I’m the spiritual leader in my home because of my Dad. The best advice my Father gave me at an opportune time in life was to pray. Pray to God and he will let you know what he wants you to do. Because of this advice as a youngman I received guidance through prayer. Because of this council I resolved to serve a mission for my church. Serving the Lord I learned how to feel and recognize the spirit and how to receive council from the Lord. As a young adult I knew the reality of prayer and that God does answer our prayers.
4. My Dads glass was always filled to the brim even in the toughest circumstances his outlook on life was always positive. My optimistic attitude comes from my Dad. My Dad often said “never end a day saying; I should have.., I could have…, I would have..” Shakespeare said it best “our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft my win by fearing to attempt”. These are a few quotes that I live by. They shape my behavoir, and my daily behavoir drives my actions.
Individually and collectively we miss you so very much. Reality is death is a brief seperation from those we love. I look forward to that great day when we as a family will return to the God who gave us life. I look forward to that day with great excitement.
4 comments:
Thanks Tyler, Dad was an amazing man!!!
wow, that was a great tribute to your father...it's easier now to see where you got all your amazing qualities from.
How great to remember the many wonderful memories and lessons you and your family learned from your dad. I can't believe it has already been 2 1/2 years since his passing. Time has gone by so quickly and life has brought so many changes. Thanks for sharing your memories with us!
Wow that was really emotional. Most men wouldn't share something like that. Although you aren't like most men. What a great son you are to do that for him.
Thank you for reminding me how important life is.
Post a Comment